[tex-live] updmap and /

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Mar 1 16:46:17 CET 2009

On 24 February 2009 Zdenek Wagner wrote:

 > And why is it necessary to "cd" anywhere? I would do it like that:
 > rm -rf "$tmpdir" if -d "$tmpdir";

Thomas explained it to me some years ago:  Since you can't remove your
current working directory, you have to make sure that you are not
inside a directory you want to remove.  The reason he chose "/" is
that this directory always exists and never is supposed to be removed.

Please also note that Thomas usually installs signal handlers in order
to remove temporary files when the script aborts unexpectedly.  Hence,
the code you propose will not work reliably.  You don't know where you
are if the process is killed by a signal.  Yes, it's necessary to "cd"
to a directory outside "$tmpdir".

I'm wondering about the funny file permissions reported by Lars.  Does
any system has these settings by default?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25