[tex-live] tlmgr feature request

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 14:12:15 CEST 2009

Is there a way to use tlmgr to find a package containing a given file?
I didn't see it in the documentation, but maybe I missed it.  If not, I
think it would be a useful feature.  Here's a recent example.  I was
compiling a latex file and got a message that epic.sty was missing.  I
tried 'tlmgr install epic', but there's no epic package.  I then tried
'tlmgr search --file --global epic.sty' and found that there are files
epic.sty and eepic.sty, so I tried 'tlmgr install eepic', and that
worked.  But I think it was just luck that 'epic.sty' is part of
'eepic.sty' and that the package containing the latter is called eepic.

Ideally, the output of tlmgr search --file should give not only the full
path name of the file but also the package containing it.

Thanks.

Ken