[tex-live] Install font in Mandriva 2009.1

Bob Plantz plantz at cds1.net
Wed Jun 3 22:55:04 CEST 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 10:53 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Bob Plantz <plantz at cds1.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 May 2009 16:31:35 Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe you can simply remove Mandriva's TeX Live and install it from
> >> http://texlive.org .  Then everything is under your control.
>
> And texlive now has its own package manager and can be configured
> to do installs without "root" privileges.   TL can coexist with Mandriva's
> TeX -- don't use the "create symbolic links" option and put the bin directory
> before /usr/bin in the PATH.

I gave up on Mandriva for now. The texlive port to Ubuntu (via Debian)
is much more mature. It works, and I need to continue working on my
book.

> I'm working on a "literate" Fortran project (much time lost only to discover
> the reason a program was crashing was that user's editor had converted
> ASCII input files to unicode).
>
> I prefer the "dotted" zero in DejaVu Sans Mon over the slashed zero.
>
> Unicode now offers more choices, so you can monospace glyphs in
> fonts that aren't "monospaced", e.g., STIX.   DejaVu Mono uses the
> new names for existing glyphs.  I think both STIX and DejaVu provide
> bold and italic for common monospaced glyphs.
>
> U+1D7F6 MATHEMATICAL MONOSPACE DIGIT ZERO
>
> General Character Properties
>
> In Unicode since: 3.1
> Unicode category: Number, Decimal Digit
>
> U+1D695 MATHEMATICAL MONOSPACE SMALL L
>
> General Character Properties
>
> In Unicode since: 3.1
> Unicode category: Letter, Lowercase
>
> > Back to the drawing board. (I never really left it.)
>
> Unicode will provide lots of new ways to use that
> drawing board.

I agree with you on the dotted zero. I have changed my fonts from
Palatino/Luximono to Times/Beramono. (The beramono is scaled 0.90.)
Beramono has the dotted zero, and its lower-case el is easily
distinguished from one. I need to live with it a bit, but I think I've
reached a more legible and more attractive font combination.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me here.
Bob