[tex-live] tlmgr --self

Uwe Siart uwe.siart at tum.de
Thu Jul 30 14:02:24 CEST 2009

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> writes:

> Implementing is not the problem, but our idea is that tlmgr update --all
> tries to get as close to the master repository as possible while honoring
> the user's decision to remove some packages.

You're absolutely right. I can see the dilemma.

On the other hand there's no fundamental difference between the decision
to remove a package and the decision not to install a package.

There are three basic reasons for a package might not be installed:

- because it has been unchecked during TL install
- because it has been removed after TL install
- because it has been added to the repository after TL install

Whichever is appropriate a user might want to

- update only packages that are currently installed
- or get the whole lot that is available

That's why I had the idea that tlmgr should offer these two options
regardless of the previous history.

--
Uwe