[tex-live] pretest: texdoc problem

Uwe Siart uwe.siart at tum.de
Sun Jul 26 22:07:52 CEST 2009

Uwe Siart <uwe.siart at tum.de> writes:

> Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:
>
>> On 26 July 2009 Uwe Siart wrote:
>>
>>  > When I reported this bug I could not call texdoc at all. It was provoked
>>  > by my MSYS installation with a shell script named 'shell' on PATH. But
>>  > this is fixed now in TL. texdoc no longer stumbles across my MSYS but
>>  > uses start.exe as intended.
>>
>> Did you have the MSYS bin directory in Windows PATH?  This would be
>> quite unusual.
>
> Yes, I did (and do). IIRC the MSYS installer put it there.

I installed the newly released MSYS 1.0.11 and can confirm that the
installer does *not* modify PATH. So it must have been me. I'm very
greedy in making GNUtools available on windows computers ;-) But as I
said: I never meant any harm by this.

So the correct way to use MSYS is

- not to put its bin directory on PATH
- use the utilities that come with MSYS exclusively from within the MSYS
  bash

Right?

--
Uwe