[tex-live] bug in TeX Live Utility

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez artemiog at me.com
Sun Jul 12 21:53:37 CEST 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2009, at 4:40 AM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
>
>> Artemio Gonzalez Lopez a écrit :
>>> The TeX Live Utility in the latest (June 2009) MacTeX-2009 package
>>> has a
>>> bug, namely the last part of the TeX server's URL is hardcoded to
>>> systems/texlive/tlnet/2008, which makes it unusable to upgrade the
>>> 2009
>>> test distro. Perhaps the best thing to do would be not to assume any
>>> part of the path, so that the user could enter the whole thing
>>> manually
>>> if needed.
>
> I'm waiting to see the final path on CTAN before adding UI for
> this.  I think I followed the URL/path composition as used in tlmgr
> and the mirror URLs, but it's awkward to deal with.
>
>> This seems specific to MacTeX, not "vanilla" TeX Live. You'd
>> probably better ask
>> directly on the mactex mailing list.
>
> I posted instructions for using TeX Live Utility with TL09 pretest a
> few days ago on the MacTeX list.  I'll repost here since the
> archives of that list are for subscribers only:
>
> If you do install TL 2009, you can update it using TeX Live
> Utility.  Currently the preference settings are a bit goofy; the
> Server URL is everything prior to texlive/tlnet, rather than systems/
> texlive/tlnet/2008 as on CTAN.  So you have to set this hidden pref
> using Terminal after quitting TLU:
>
> defaults write com.google.mactlmgr.tex_live_utility
> TLMServerPathPreferenceKey "texlive/tlnet"
>
> then launch TLU and set the server URL to one of the pretest mirrors
> (e.g., http://ftp.math.utah.edu:80/pub/).

Adam,

Thanks a lot for your help! I followed your instructions, and now TLU
is fully funcional. I just wanted to report a cosmetic glitch, namely
that in many (if not all) of the windows you get when you click on
"Info" apostrophes (' or ") are replaced by funny symbols like 'ae'.

Thanks again for your help,

Artemio