[tex-live] TeXLive 2009 and asmptote

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat Jul 11 12:00:03 CEST 2009

Taco Hoekwater a écrit :
> The hyphenation patterns in luatex are currently saved as strings in the
> format file because the internal representation is several thousands of
> separate small objects per language and dumping those objects would be
> rather messy. We may change the behaviour at some point before version
> 1.0 is out, but not for texlive 2009.

Ok, thanks for this info.

> Besides this technical issue, dumping 50+ languages in the format file
> is not recommended for another reason as well: luatex is perfectly
> capable of handling patterns at runtime, per language. So it is possible
> to load just the language(s) you need for one particular document, and
> the speed penalty will be only about one tenth of a second per language.

I was aware that is was not necessary to dump the compiled patterns in the
format, now I understand why it is not a priority at this point. Thanks for the
explanation.

And of course I hope babel will be updated in order to be able to load the
patterns just in time in the not so distant future.

Manuel.