[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Jul 8 03:38:47 CEST 2009

Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 06:09:53PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>
>>     Unless foo.eps is given explicitly (i.e. with extension) in which case
>>     foo.SUFFIX.pdf should be generated and used even if foo.pdf exists
>>
>> Why?   Even though the user is clearly confused in this case (.eps in
>> doc, running pdflatex), it still seems to me that if they have a
>> foo.pdf, it is probably the "equivalent" of foo.eps and is what the user
>> would expect to be used.
>
> Why foo.pdf exists then? It could still be the source: latex/dvips
> doesn't support PDF, thus foo.eps could be the generated file.

Well, if you want to go this way, maybe foo.jpg was the generated file. Why not
check for every extension then? It doesn't sound reasonnable.

As a user, I generally hate that software tries to double-guess my intentions
when I was explicit. Currently, the rules with includegraphics are quite clear:
- if I give no extension, I want LaTeX to decide for me.
- if I give an extnesion, I decide myself.
I think it should stay this way.

> No. The explicit extension always triggers its rule.
> Differences happens by the extension search order, if no extension
> is given. Then the file that is found first triggers the rule,
> choosen by the file's extension.
>
> If someone uses EPS files as original files. And there are some
> PDF files that should be ignored, then setting
>   \epstopdfsetup{prefersuffix}
> helps.

So I think I'd prefer the following defaults

  append
  update
  suffix=.\SourceExt-converted
  prefersuffix=true

If I understand correctly the meaning of the options, it means that:

1. If the user says 'foo' without suffix:
1a. If both foo.eps and foo.pdf exist (and possibly foo-pdf-converted.pdf) then
foo.pdf is used since pdf is tried first.
1b. If neither foo.pdf nor foo.jpg, etc. exists, but foo.eps does, it is
(converted and) used.

2. If the user says 'foo.eps':
foo.eps is used regardless of whether foo.pdf (or foo.jpg or...) exists.

I think it is more consistant. Don't forget that the ultimate goal of loading
esptopdf in graphics.cfg (with restricted \write18 enabled by default) is to
give the user the illusion that eps is embedabble by pdflatex just like any
other format, so it should behave like any other format, as far as possible.

Manuel.