[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jul 8 01:57:33 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 05:48:31PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

>       (a) `foo-epstopdf.png'.
>
> Yeah.  I was thinking that was still ok, because it is the epstopdf
> package that is doing it.  But I realize it has its confusions, too.
>
>       \epstopdfsetup{suffix=\SourceExt-converted-to}

Typo: \epstopdfsetup{suffix=.\SourceExt-converted-to}

> That seems ok.  Maybe we can omit the -to, to make it a little shorter.
> Just foo.{eps,png,...}-converted.pdf still seems ok?  Either way.

Yes, it's fine with me: \epstopdfsetup{suffix=.\SourceExt-converted}
Someone has used "aux" in his suggestion. It could be extended
by \SourceExt:
  \epstopdfsetup{suffix=.\SourceExt-aux}
It would be shorter, but probably also less understandable.
Opinions?

>     To solve this, I have added option `prefersuffix', that controls
>     the behaviour:
>       prefersuffix=true ==> always use the generated name with suffix
>       prefersuffix=false ==> use the file with name without suffix
>
>     (3) Default settings. Now, that files aren't overwritten, I think, I can
>     dare to change the default, e.g. to
>       prepend,
>       update,
>       suffix=...,% [see (1)]
>       prefersuffix=false
>
>     What do you think?
>
> My understanding of the results are that:
>
> 1) user has both foo.eps and foo.pdf (created in whatever way): Their
>    foo.pdf gets used.  Nothing is generated.

Yes.

> 2) user has only foo.eps: foo.SUFFIX.pdf gets generated, and used.
>    foo.SUFFIX.pdf is not regenerated unless foo.eps changes.

Yes. Small correction in the naming: The first dot is part of SUFFIX:
  \epstopdfsetup{...,suffix=SUFFIX}
  foo.eps --> fooSUFFIX.pdf

This allows the use of other stuff like a hyphen for optical separation.

> 3) if the user does some manual tweaks on foo.SUFFIX.pdf and copies it
>    to foo.pdf, then once again foo.pdf will be used (and not overwritten).

Yes.

> Is that correct?

Yes, modulo implementation bugs.
Of course all answers with the following option settings:
  prepend,update,suffix=SUFFIX,prefersuffix=false

For the CTAN release I want to increase to version number to 2.0
and change the default settings to the results of this thread:
  prepend
  update
  suffix=.\SourceExt-converted
  prefersuffix=false
(and better documentation and testing ...)

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>