[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jul 6 01:49:46 CEST 2009

Hello,

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 05:13:32PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Heiko and all,
>
>     Or with option "append", it searches for PDF files first (and
>     doesn't trigger the conversion if the PDF file exists.)
>
> Thanks very much for that.  I've changed prepend to append in
> graphics.cfg; that seems safer for the general TeX Live setting, while
> still providing the conversion functionality in the common case.
>
> FWIW, I did read the epstopdf documentation but did not figure out that
> this was the implication of
> "Puts the extension .eps at the end of the graphics extension list".
>
> A few extra words of explanation in the documentation would be welcome.
> Even just "search" in front of "list".
>
> (If you disagree, fine.

Of course I disagree :-)
Using "append", option "update" will not work, because the PDF file
would be found before considering conversion from EPS.

> No need to reply. :)

The problem prevented my "well-earned" sleep. ;-(
I implemented now a new option `suffix' whose string value is
inserted after the base name and before the extension of the
output file.
Example:
  \epstopdfsetup{suffix=-gen}
  Then `foo.eps' is converted to `foo-gen.pdf'.

Please try. Version 1.9 is temporarily available at:
  http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~oberdiek/tmp/epstopdf.pdf

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>