[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

Uwe Siart uwe.siart at tum.de
Sun Jul 5 15:34:56 CEST 2009

Daniel Becker <daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de> writes:

> hm - epstopdf.sty (the package, not the script) can handle this
> (conversion only when needed, i.e. pdf is missing or eps has been
> updated). It is also important whether your includegraphics-command is
> with or without file extension.

No extension at all as a matter of principle.

> I couldn't read that discussion mentioned earlier (login required,
> registration not working for me).

There are only two articles in the thread so far, you may check the list
archive. I assume you're not averse to me answering to the list.

Norbert pointed me to <http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html> where it is
mentioned that \newcommand{\DoNotLoadEpstopdf}{} before \documentclass
prevents the call of epstopdf in a PDF environment.

This is a solution but I hope it is further discussed. Up to now we
could call either latex or pdflatex without the need to modify the
source. Now in the case of pdflatex, a command is necessary to safe the
PDF graphics from being overwritten.

I understand that this behaviour simplifies a lot for the majority of
users. But I also think that a latex run should never ever overwrite
files that it did not generate on the fly. And a PDF graphics file that
already exists falls into that category in many cases.

--
Uwe