[tex-live] getnonfreefonts --help

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jan 24 21:00:13 CET 2009

On 23 January 2009 Lars Madsen wrote:

 > getnonfreefonts --help states
 >
 > getnonfreefonts installs fonts in $TEXMFHOME.
 > getnonfreefonts-sys installs fonts in $TEXMFLOCAL.
 >
 > for a non technical user who does not know anything about the difference
 > between $TEXMFHOME and $TEXMFLOCAL, I would suggest changing this.
 >
 > At least make sure that the user knows that getnonfreefonts will install
 > locally for this user only, whereas getnonfreefonts-sys installs for all
 > users.

Hi Lars,
I don't think that the getnonfreefonts help message is a good place for
basic kpathsea documentation.  I'm wondering how people can be aware
of getnonfreefonts if they didn't look into the TeX Live manaul already.

BTW, if you run getnonfreefonts --help, it prints to screen where it
would install the files.

  Directories:
       temporary: '/tmp/501-reinhard/getfont-<PID>'
       install:   '/home/reinhard/texmf'

 > $TEXMFLOCAL does not really sound global...

...but this is not getnonfreefonts specific.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25