[tex-live] Install URW-fonts in TeX Live 2008?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 14:16:47 CET 2009

Wolfgang Keller <feliphil at gmx.net> wrote:

> is there a step-by-step guide somewhere that actually _explains_ how to
> use external fonts - specifically the URW Classico (an Optima clone) -
> with TeX Live 2008?
>
> The TeX-Live "guide" is not at all helpful:
>
> "This is unfortunately a very complicated and messy topic. Forget about
> it unless you really know your way around blindfolded in a TEX
> installation."
>
> That's all. No explanation at all.

it's damnably difficult to set up a font from scratch.

fortunately, for optima, there's a ready-built package (which isn't in
tl because of the licence of the font it uses).

ctan fonts/urw/classico/README.classico _does_ contain some detail about
installing the package: it looks to me as if it would be enough for
_anyone_ to install the font and start using it.

robin
(who was checking the licence of that package, only last friday...)