[tex-live] [OT] georgian, utf8, inputenc

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 17:38:20 CET 2009

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Di, 13 Jan 2009, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> > > Any comments on that?
> >
> > looks good enough, if painful.
>
> Well, if you tell me "good enough" then I at least know that I am on the
> right track ... I never delved into these things before, but need the
> Georgian support now.
>
> > you do know he's abandoned the package?  (i.e., it's currently
> > unsupported...)
>
> Umpf, bad. And the LaTeX Team (only joking ...)

we only provide utf-8 support for things that can be expressed in a
latex standard encoding.  this rules out greek (even modern greek:
no-one has a latex compatible encoding for it -- i.e. one that will work
with the default uc/lc tables ... a proposal to go with iso 8859-7 fell
down as soon as we looked at the table for that encoding).

> Anyone else having experience with these things?

apart from dominique, i fear it's only frank mittelbach.

robin

(who, wonders if anything can be made of it, every time he looks at that
table...)