[tex-live] merging texmf-doc into texmf-dist

Philip TAYLOR Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Thu Feb 19 00:22:59 CET 2009

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 18 February 2009 Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>
>  > Simplified and traditional Chinese are two distinct written
>  > languages (with some elements in common) ...
>
> Hi Phil,
> do people in Taiwan understand simplyfied Chinese and do people in the
> Peoples Republic understand traditional Chinese?

Some of each will, but in general those in the PRC
will have greater difficulty with the traditional
hanzi than those in Taiwan will have with the
simplified, the reasons being that the simplified
script was introduced because the traditional was
so d at mned complex, which is why younger PRC people
with little or no exposure to the traditional
letter forms will find them harder to understand.
But because so much mainland material makes its
way into Taiwan, the Taiwanese exposure to the
simplified forms is much greater, and I think
that many would cope, even if they would prefer
to read traditional script.  But we have at least
two native Chinese speakers on this list, so we
should ask them for their input, which will be
much more informed and useful than mine.

** Phil.