[tex-live] merging texmf-doc into texmf-dist

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed Feb 18 23:00:48 CET 2009

>                                   the distinction is
> vital here.  Simplified and traditional Chinese are
> two distinct written languages (with some elements in
> common) and it is no more reasonable to expect
> a TeX user in Beijing to cope with zh-hant/zh-tw
> than it would be to expect a user in Taibei to
> cope with zh-hans/zh-cn.

  Agreed.  Except that I'd said that they're two different written forms
of the same spoken language, and not two different written languages,
but the distinction is pretty unimportant here :-)

  That's why I would like to suggest that we need to make a distinction
between the writing system that is used, in addition to the language
(the other obvious example that springs to mind is Serbian /
Serbo-Croatian), while the country of the speaker should probably not be
taken in account when it comes to translations of documentation.

  I can't say anything about Czech and Slovak, it's really great that
the translators agreed on a mixed-language documentation and that the
document can be understood by speakers of both languages, but that
reasoning really can't apply for Chinese.

	Arthur