[tex-live] Desktop environment and texdoc viewers

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Dec 31 01:42:46 CET 2009

Hi all,

I just uploaded an update to texdoc so that it tries to detect the current
desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, XFCE) and use the appropriate viewers. It
should be in the net updates tomorrow or the day after, depending on the mirror
used ('texdoc -v' should say 0.61).

For obvious reasons, it's quite inconvenient for me to test that the detection
actually works ok in real live environments. So I would be grateful if you could
test it in your usual environments.

You can use 'texdoc --debug=view live' and check that the viewer used is:
- kde-open for a KDE4 sessions
- kfmclient for older KDE sessions
- gnome-open for GNOME sessions
- exo-open for XFCE sessions
- anything *else* if not running a full session of one of the above environments.

Thanks,
Manuel.

PS: for those interested in the details, the detection method is slightly
adapted from the one in xdg-open from freedesktop.org, using:
- KDE_SESSION_VERSION to detect KDE4 (or greater...)
- KDE_FULL_SESSION for other KDE
- GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID for gnome
- looking for "xfce4" in the output of 'xprop -root _DT_SAVE_MODE' (if xprop is
found) for xfce.