[tex-live] packages with characters > 127

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Dec 28 15:10:10 CET 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:54:23 +0100, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>
wrote:
> Robin Fairbairns wrote:

>>> Why?  A package which deals with, say, latin1 stuff should be allowed
>>> to have latin1 characters in comments too.  I rather suggest that you
>>> contact the authors who use non-ASCII characters without specifying a
>>> proper file encoding, either in the beginning or end of the file
>>> (e.g., in Emacs style).
>>
>> do xelatex/lualatex analyse all possible encoding signifiers?  (this is
>> a serious question: i've no idea.)

IIRC, XeTeX looks at a possible BOM and removes it from the input stream
but doesn't do any other guessing.

> Luatex doesn't. Input has to be utf-8, and latin-1 stuff wouldn't work
> anyway.

By the way, what's LuaTeX's behaviour concerning malformed input? Warning,
error, silence? Since UTF-8 cannot get "out of sync", I would expect that
illegal byte sequences in comments do little harm if any...

Manuel.