[tex-live] segfault on mac after using perl/tk from macports

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Dec 26 18:35:52 CET 2009

On Dec 26, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Geoffrey S. Knauth wrote:
>> I tried (and eventually succeeded) updating TeXLive on my Mac from 2008 to 2009.  TeXLive said I didn't have perl/tk, so I used MacPorts to install it.  Then when I ran sudo install-tl --gui=wizard, I got a segfault.  I figured it must be some incompatibility between the version of Perl used by TeXLive and the version used by Macports (v5.8.9).  My Mac's "normal" (/usr/bin/perl) Perl is v5.10.0.  I downloaded Tk-804.028_501 from CPAN and installed that using the "normal" Perl.  At that point sudo install-tl --gui=perltk ran fine.  Just thought others might care if this happens to them.
>
> That has nothing to do with TeX Live itself, because for Mac we do NOT
> ship any perl.
>
> The problem is with the Perl/Tk shipped my macports, not with TL.
>
> But it is good to know that you solved it.
>
> You could take a look at MacTeX which polishes all that up.

I'd agree that the MacTeX install package is certainly the most straightforward way to install with a GUI.  As a further note, I think MacTeX 2008 included an optional Perl/Tk install, but MacTeX 2009 does not; consequently, you need to find some other Perl/Tk if you want the tlmgr GUI.  If you want yet another install-tl GUI on the Mac, you could compile TeX Live Utility from source and enable that option in the code, but it's not supported :).

--
Adam