[tex-live] Should .tds.zip be encouraged? (was: characters > 127 in .dtx and .sty files)

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Dec 24 13:14:44 CET 2009

> Besides this, I think .tds.zip can be useful for end users trying to
> install
> something not yet packaged in (their Linux's distro packages for) TL, but
> for the TL team it doesn't make any difference. So, the issue of wether it
> should be encouraged or not is rather indiferrent to this list, IMO, as
> long
> as it does not result in a lot of corrupted archives.

Yes, it is also a good help for end users trying packages that are not
yet in the package managers

I'd relly like to see biblatex packaged as a tds.zip.

There are so many users today that has no idea as to how one actually
use a computer, quite scary actually. But most people manage to be able
to place a zip file in a certain dir and extract it there.

For the users where I work I provide a tds.zip file containing a letter
class and corresponding fonts (for legal reasons this cannot be uploaded
to CTAN), and it works just fine. Extract it, run texhash, install a map
file. That is it.

In memoir we build the release via a Makefile, including a TDS, it works
fine, now. The CTAN scripts found a few errors which have been fixed
along the way.

/daleif