[tex-live] Should .tds.zip be encouraged? (was: characters > 127 in .dtx and .sty files)

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Dec 24 12:27:42 CET 2009

> more than enough.  yet i keep putting my head above the parapet whenever
> the issue gets discussed.

So, my $\infty + 1$th opinion. Obviously, .tds.zip are additional work for
authors,and they are more work for everyone (CTAN, TL, users) if they are
wrong. So, every document advertising .tds.zip should make it clear that
it is *not* the required format and people should upload archives
to this format only if they wish *and* are sure they are able to get it
right.

Besides this, I think .tds.zip can be useful for end users trying to
install
something not yet packaged in (their Linux's distro packages for) TL, but
for the TL team it doesn't make any difference. So, the issue of wether it
should be encouraged or not is rather indiferrent to this list, IMO, as
long
as it does not result in a lot of corrupted archives.

> i'm going to get shot some time;

I hope not :)

Manuel.