[tex-live] characters > 127 in .dtx and .sty files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 22 23:48:44 CET 2009

    Is it possible to change the behaviour of the compilation of the
    .sty file from the .dtx in order to get the ^^ representation of
    characters >127

Yes, done, etextools.sty updated.

    (which is the default)?

It is the default in tex.  It has not been the default in any other
engine for years.  I've found it's best to use latex as the default
engine to process ins/dtx.

    At least for packages with this kind of characters in them.

I don't want to make a wholesale change, because it seems to me that
could easily introduce as many errors as fixes.  If you feel like
grepping the runtime for non-ASCII characters and prove that wrong, let
me know ...

Thanks,
Karl