[tex-live] couldn't install on Windows 7

Geoffrey S. Knauth geoff at knauth.org
Mon Dec 21 01:10:31 CET 2009

[ I forgot to CC the list.  --G ]

On Dec 20, 2009, at 18:34, T T wrote:
2009/12/20 Geoffrey S. Knauth <geoff at knauth.org>:
>>  Perl.exe has stopped running
>> or words to that effect.  Has anyone else seen that?
>
> No, nobody reported such a problem, AFAIK. Is it win7 64 or 32 bit?

Win7 32 bit (for now).  The machine is capable of 64 bit but I didn't feel like reinstalling all my kids' stuff when doing the Vista->Win7 upgrade.

I just tried `install-tl -version' and the result was the same alert:

 Perl.exe has stopped working
 A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
 Windows will close the program and notify you
 if a solution is available.

Typical polite but useless message from Windows.  I didn't see anything useful in the system logs, but then I don't know my way around Windows as well as I do around *nix.

This Win7 system does not have Cygwin on it.  It didn't think that was a prerequisite.  Please let me know if it is.  I don't mind installing that too.

Thanks,
Geoff