[tex-live] Installing xz-utils to unpack TeX ive 2009 on Kubuntu 9.10

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chyavana at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 03:28:30 CET 2009

George N. White III wrote:

> Use "aptitude" and you will see that xz-utils is intended to replace lzma, so
> in this case it should be OK.  On my Ubuntu 9.20 system dpkg-dev (which I
> used to create a dummy texlive package so the dependencies of other packages
> on texlive are satisfied) depends on lzma, but the dependency is
> satisfied by xz-utils.

Thank you.

I was able to install xz-utils without any dramas using aptitude. Just
for the record, here is the transcript for

sudo aptitude install xz-utils

---
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
   xz-utils
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   lzma{a}
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 166kB of archives. After unpacking 209kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 http://ftp.iinet.net.au karmic/universe xz-utils
4.999.8beta-0ubuntu2 [166kB]
Fetched 166kB in 0s (382kB/s)
dpkg: lzma: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
  dpkg depends on lzma.
  dpkg-dev depends on lzma; however:
   Package lzma is to be removed.
(Reading database ... 466924 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing lzma ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Selecting previously deselected package xz-utils.
(Reading database ... 466915 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xz-utils (from .../xz-utils_4.999.8beta-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up xz-utils (4.999.8beta-0ubuntu2) ...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
---

As you have explained, lzma is indeed provided by xz-utils and dpkg
seems to work fine after xz-utils was installed.

Chandra