[tex-live] [TL09 and Vista] Problem with new tlmgr

TeXWorld texworld at laposte.net
Sun Dec 13 20:15:09 CET 2009

T T a écrit :
> 2009/12/13 TeXWorld <texworld at laposte.net>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I try to update my packages with tlmgr, I'm told that tlmgr must be
>> updated first alone.
>> After that, the operation fails and I have to download and execute (in root
>> mode) update-tlmgr-latest.exe
>> After, I execute tlmgr again and that's the same thing, no change : tlmgr
>> has to be updated again.
>>
>> Clue : in the end of executing update-tlmgr-latest.exe, I have the message
>> "Completed" and another short message (not very easy to read it) :
>> "Cannot chdir to J:: Permission denied at C:\Program
>> Files\texlive\2009\texmf\scripts\texlive\tlmgr.pl line 3856"
>>
>> Is it a problem with TL09 or Vista or both ? How can I solve this ?
>>

> Do you run tlmgr --self with admin rights? In what way it fails? Does
> it still work after the failure? If yes, please provide us with the
> tlmgr revision (--version) number. If you had sufficient write access,
> there should also be an update log in C:\Program
> Files\texlive\2009\temp\update-self.log, which might reveal additional
> details. Please send it if you can.
>
> The problem is most likely that you have TL under %ProgramFiles%, so
> any updates (not only to tlmgr itself) will require elevation to have
> write access there. Note, that we don't use %ProgramFiles% by default
> to avoid this kind of complications.
>
> As for why update-tlmgr-latest.exe fails I have no idea yet (and why
> does it want to chdir to J:?).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tomek

Thank you for your answer. I found where was the problem. The J: was the
drive where to find the sources. It was set up in the configuration tab.
I replaced it by http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet. But what
I don't understand is that before updating I always change J: with
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet but the system.

Everything works well now.