[tex-live] listing failed

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Aug 26 19:02:53 CEST 2009

On Mi, 26 Aug 2009, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:
> > BTW, why don't you set the parameter to the default once in TLU?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.  I allow the user to set the location
> in a text field (combo box):
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mactlmgr/wiki/PreferencesPage
>
> This is set in the Mac OS preference database, so is private to TLU.  It is
> used as the argument to --location for listing updates, but the actual host
> is always used for update/install as follows:

You could keep the Mac OS preference database free of that, and
save the current value into the tlpdb using
	tlmgr option repository .....
After that the --repository (or --location) parameter is not necessary
at all.

That also has the advantage that if some adventerous user uses tlmgr on
the command line like
	tlmgr search --global foobar
it still will find the right thing, while now it would try something lile
/users/koch/... or what is saved in the tlpdb.

I think from a users' *and* programmers' perspective that would be the
cleaner approach.

Or, like we do in tlmgr gui: use the default from the tlpdb, unless the
user specifies a different one for that single run

Best wishes

Norbert