[tex-live] Graphics in multicolumn text using pdflatex

John Minter jrminter at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 26 03:47:52 CEST 2009

I am trying to use pdflatex to typeset a multicolumn article. I have
run into an annoying error that a Google search shows others
encountered but offers no solution. My hope is that someone here can
say, "I struggled with and solved this problem..."

I want to use the multicol package to be able to change columns
without having a page break. The problem comes when I try to enter
graphics in the multicol environment like:

\begin{figure}[htbl]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=2in]{pdf/my_fig.pdf}
\caption{My caption.}
\label{fig:Mine}
\end{figure}

produces the info:

<pdf/my_fig.pdf, id=1, 822.07124pt x 597.23125pt>
<use pdf/my_fig.pdf>

followed by the error:

Package multicol Warning: Floats and marginpars not allowed inside
`multicols'
environment!.

Any ideas how to fix this. I am using a current  version of the TeX
Live 2009 Preview.

Regards,
John Minter