[tex-live] error from "tlmgr update --self" in 4NT/TCC

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu Aug 20 09:01:02 CEST 2009

Hello,

The following code in updater-w32 causes an error in the command
shells TCC/4NT when tlmgr updates itself:

   rem Restart in cmd.exe to avoid problems if 4NT is used
   call :debug "respawning in cmd.exe ..."
   %respawn% cmd.exe /c call "%~f0" main

Note that the "call :debug" command occurs _before_ respawning
the batch file under cmd. This ultimately executes two set
commands on lines 218 and 220 under TCC:
   set /p "=%~1" <nul >>"%~dpn0.log"
and
   set /p "=%~1" <nul
This particular syntax is (as far as I can tell) undocumented
in cmd.exe, and is an error in TCC/4NT.

Running "help set" in cmd.exe reveals that "set /p" requires
variable=[prompt string]. The above examples have no
variable (and a strange quoting). While cmd.exe lets the
lack of a variable slide, TCC takes it seriously (TCC also
doesn't like the quoting).

Is there some more (undocument) behavior that makes "set /p" better
than echo? I couldn't find any effect of "set /p" (when there is no
variable to set) other than the display of the the prompt string.

Regards,
Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences