[tex-live] Bug in fmtutil.cnf line for eplain?

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Mon Aug 17 20:45:44 CEST 2009

Hello,

In the format generation file eplain.ini (TeX Live 2009) we find:
   % Thomas Esser, 1998. public domain.
   % hyphenation is set up in language.dat
   \input bplain
   \input eplain
   \dump
   \endinput

The input of bplain means that hyphenations patterns are
loaded for all the languages in language.dat. However, in
fmtutil.cnf we have
   eplain pdftex - -translate-file=cp227.tcx *eplain.ini
which doesn't show language.dat. This means
   fmtutil --byhyphen language.dat
will fail to regenerate eplain.fmt when language hyphenations
are updated. I think the line in texlive.tlpdb that begins
   execute AddFormat name=eplain engine=pdftex
needs to have
   patterns=language.dat
inserted.

Regards,
Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descartes