[tex-live] Upgrade from TL'08 to TL'09

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:41:43 CEST 2009

2009/8/13 Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>:
> On Do, 13 Aug 2009, T T wrote:
>> The questions is to our users: would you use such an
>> upgrade script rather than just install from scratch?
>
> I consider the upgrade script actually lost time, re-installation

Well, writing a perl script should not take much more time than
writing step-by-step intructions for that matter. I would have to test
those instructions first anyway.

> is more reliable and safer, and it will in any case the same
> download volume if you upgrade or do a reinstall, so why not go
> for a reinstall and keep 2008 for security ;-)

Definitely, but with upgrade script some user modifications could be
possibly preserved, so maybe some people would like to give it a try
despite the risks. I dunno, that's why I'm asking.

> I considered it more like an exercise ;-)

Yep, I had a fun with this too ;)

Cheers,

Tomek