[tex-live] tl2009: i386-cygwin: binaries won't work due to dll problem

Markus Ueberall Markus.Ueberall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 01:40:53 CEST 2009

Ken Brown schrieb:
> On 8/11/2009 5:54 PM, Markus Ueberall wrote:
>> ('The procedure entry point "__assert_func" could not be located in the
>> dynamic link library "cygwin1.dll"')
>> [...]
>> Guess #1: Could it be that the binaries are built using Cygwin release
>> 1.7 beta?
>
> Guess #1 is correct.  The install-tl script warns that this is the case
> when it is run under cygwin.  The updated documentation for TL2009 will
> probably give a similar warning.  But installing the binaries while
> running tlmgr under a different system does not produce any warning.
>
> I'm the person who built the cygwin binaries and made the decision that
> TL2009 should only support cygwin-1.7.  I had a variety of reasons,
> which we could discuss elsewhere if you want.  Angelo Graziosi has built
> cygwin binaries under 1.5, and I'm sure he would make them available to
> you if you don't want to upgrade your cygwin installation. [...]

I see. While I don't dare to even install a parallel version of the
POSIX layer on the machine in question, I can wait for the 1.7 release.
AFAIK, Angelo only built cygwin binaries for TL2008 (IIRC, I actually
used them before), but I'll contact him to see whether they got updated
as well, thanks for the hint/reminder ;)

Ad astra, Markus