[tex-live] Fwd: Re: tlmgr query

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Aug 4 08:57:36 CEST 2009

Rowland McDonnell <rowland.mcdonnell at btinternet.com> writes:

> I did try to keep to technical issues despite the fact that almost all
> the replies I've received here have contained personal abuse and
> insults.
>
> I had meant to make no more posts.
>
> But really, I feel something has to be said about the appallingly rude
> behaviour I've met on the tex-live mailing list.
>
> And no, I'm not a bloody troll you idiots (the idea is that anyone who
> thinks I'm a troll is an idiot; I say nothing about others at this
> point).

By now it would appear that you have pretty good coverage, and of course
calling near everybody on this list an idiot is supposed to show us how
to refrain from personal abuse and insults and carry on a technical
discussion.

Please use a Usenet archive of your choice and count the lines where you
are ranting, and the lines where you are actually talking about
technical matters with enough detail as to enable a technical answer.

If you think calling everybody an idiot is the appropriate way to get a
technical answer to a question which has long since faded away in remote
posting history, think again.  Do you really think that your rude and
hostile behavior will make people dig through the _entire_ thread until
they find mails defining your problem?

> I'm doing this because you lot are appalling and someone damned well
> ought to tell you.  Maybe someone here will end up feeling ashamed
> enough to change his behaviour from `filthy' to `decent and
> civilised'.

So now you are calling everybody filthy, indecent and uncivilized.  Is
_that_ supposed to make people back up through your thread of insults
and calmly consider your original question?

> I don't expect any of you to do so - especially not the trouble-making
> troll Andreas Hirsch.

Fine example for not using personal insults you set here.

> Read my posts - it's perfectly obvious that I'm a Mac TeX user who
> wants to learn how to manage and maintain TeX on his Mac and is having
> trouble due to the user hostility of MacTeX compared to older versions
> of TeX on Macs (such as OzTeX and CMacTeX).
>
> That's all.  I don't want personal abuse but it seems that it's what
> one gets here.

One can reduce it a lot by putting you in the killfile, it seems.

--
David Kastrup