[tex-live] Installation tex-live

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 14:16:27 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:53 AM, MANGISETTY, Tilak
<tilak.mangisetty at oup.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have copied the texlive-20080822-texmf.tar.lzma  to the solaris box and
> extracted the file, once after extracting the file I presume in need to
> install, but I couldn’t find the installation file.
>
> And also could you please let me know once after the installation finishes
> how to test it.

Which solaris?  I have installed texlive 2008 on a sparc solaris 10 system.
There have been some problems due to perl being broken.   Today, for
example:

$ tlmgr --gui

Cannot load Tk, thus the GUI cannot be started!
The Perl/Tk module is not shipped with the TeX Live installation.
You have to install it to get tlmgr GUI running. See
http://tug.org/texlive/distro.html for more details.

Usually this is cured by installing perl-tk, which is another
story.

You should start with <http://texlive.tug.org/texlive/>, which has
instructions for
installing texlive.

The very quick tests I use are:

$ tex story \\end
$ xdvi story.dvi
$ dvips story -o
$ evince story.ps
$ pdftex story \\end
$ xpdf story.pdf
$ latex sample2e
$ xdvi sample2e.dvi
$ dvips sample2e.dvi -o
$ evince sample2e.ps
$ pdflatex sample2e
$ xpdf sample2e.pdf

Things to watch for:  are inputs coming from the right places (e.g., not some
previous TeX installation), are paper sizes correct for your site.

> Regards,
>
> TILAK MANGISETTY
> Operations Analyst
> Information Technology Service Delivery
> Oxford University Press,
> Oxford, UK,  0X2 6DP
> Tel: +44(0)1865353854
> Mobile:+44(0)7733000703
> E-mail:tilak.mangisetty at oup.com
>
> Oxford University Press (UK) Disclaimer
>
> This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its
> contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information for the intended
> purpose only. OUP does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
> this message. Any views or opinions presented are those of the author only
> and not of OUP. If this email has come to you in error, please delete it,
> along with any attachments. Please note that OUP may intercept incoming and
> outgoing email communications.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia