[tex-live] texdoc output changes

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Apr 17 22:42:25 CEST 2009

My TeX Live Utility program for Mac OS X (a simple GUI for tlmgr) also
uses texdoc to look up documentation for listed packages.  Users have
started reporting failures in this feature, and it appears that texdoc
has some rather significant changes in its output format (as well as
the meaning of option flags).

To deal with this, can anyone answer the following:

1) what texdoc version changed behavior (I have 0.4, and I understand
that 0.42 is different)

2) what (if any) output is guaranteed for -l -I options?

With 0.4, I get a list as follows:

$ texdoc -l -I makeindex
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/man/man1/makeindex.pdf
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/makeindex/base/makeindex.dvi

This was very straightforward to parse and present as icons/hyperlinks
in the UI.  A user reports that 0.42 now prints this:

$ texdoc -l -I makeindex
texdoc info: makeindex aliased to base/makeindex
1 /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/makeindex/base/makeindex.pdf

Basically, all I want is the path, but I'd also like to keep
compatibility with the older version as shipped with TL 2008.  Is
there a reliable way to get the path from the new form of output?

thanks,
Adam