[tex-live] error on (after) texlive 2008 installation

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Apr 16 00:40:32 CEST 2009

On 15 April 2009 Norbert Preining wrote:

 > On Mi, 15 Apr 2009, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > > All operating systems which are in use today support spaces in file
 > > names.  TeX is the most advanced software package at all.  It would be
 > > quite embarrassing if it couldn't deal with spaces in file names.
 >
 > Well, every tried to
 > 	\input  foo\ bar\ baz.tex

Hi Norbert,
spaces are supported already:

$ touch foo\ bar\ baz.tex
$ tex '\input "foo bar baz.tex"\bye'
This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (Web2C 7.5.7)
(./foo bar baz.tex)
No pages of output.
Transcript written on "foo bar baz.log".

 > or,
 > 	\input /tmp/file~name~with~tilde.tex
 > Everything can be done, but it will not work trivially.

It's not very difficult, maybe a little bit more difficult for LaTeX
users because catodes are usually not explained in LaTeX books:

---- testtilde.tex --------------
\begingroup
  \catcode`\~=12
  \global\def\file{foo~bar~baz.tex}
\endgroup

\input \file
\bye
---------------------------------

$ touch foo\~bar\~baz.tex
$ tex testtilde.tex
This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (Web2C 7.5.7)
(./testtilde.tex (./foo~bar~baz.tex) )
No pages of output.
Transcript written on testtilde.log.

A cause of trouble are names with multiple consecutive spaces.
If you \input such a file, the solution is similar to the second
example.  If you want to support them in filenames you type on the
command line (tex foo\ \ \ bar.tex), then you have to do it in the
format file.  But this is this non-trivial indeed because the command
line can contain arbitrary TeX code, not just a filename.

BTW, pdftex's \pdfximage primitive supports multiple consecutive
spaces already and probably avoids catcodes at all.

 > One more thing, I am not sure that updmap and fmtutil shell scripts on
 > unix are ready for spaces in names.

Thomas at least supported spaces in filenames.  If there is a bug,
then Thomas would regard it as a bug which has to be fixed, too.
I just installed a complete TeX Live at /usr/local/tex\ live/2008
and will use it.  Let's see...  You'll hear from me whenever I
encounter a problem.

BTW, there is one thing I don't understand:

When updmap-sys is invoked by getnonfreefonts-sys, I get the error
message:

   Updating map files (updmap-sys)...
   !!! ERROR! The map file `dvips35.map' has not been found at all.

But:

$ kpsewhich -format=map dvips35.map
### returns nothing
$ texhash
texhash: Updating /usr/local/tex live/2008/../texmf-local/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/tex live/2008/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/tex live/2008/texmf-config/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/tex live/2008/texmf-dist/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/tex live/2008/texmf-doc/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/tex live/2008/texmf-var/ls-R...
texhash: Done.
$ kpsewhich -format=map dvips35.map
/usr/local/tex live/2008/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/tetex/dvips35.map

It seems that after installation texmf/ls-R is not up-to-date.

Regards,
  Reinhard

PS: Do you come to Bachotek, and if yes, when do you arrive?  I'll
arrive on Tuesday in the morning and I'm looking for people who are
interested in a walk around the lake in the afternoon, like last year.

Marschnerstr. 25