[tex-live] A general question about minimal installation scheme of texlive

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:52:27 CEST 2009

2009/4/10 وفا خلیقی <vafakh9 at gmail.com>:
> when you choose minimal installation scheme (plain only), you get tex,
> pdftex, luatex but no xetex at all.
>
> This does not make an sense, if minimal does not give me xetex, it should
> not give me pdftex, luatex either and if minimal installation gives me
> pdftex, luatex, it also should give me xetex. It is interesting that minimal
> gives ifxetex but does not give xetex itself.

tex, pdftex and luatex is the same binary, i.e. you get just one
engine. xetex is another engine.

Some files may have two branches depending whether they are processed
by (pdf)tex or xetex. Files that strictly require xetex should output
reasonable error message when running by pdftex instead of just
failing with an error that a user could not understand. Therefore you
generally need ifxetex although xetex itself is not installed.

> So what is the idead behind this?

If you have lack of space, you can install TL minimal and then install
xetex into it. I am not sure about the correct name of the package,
you can try

tlmgr install xetex

--
Zdeněk Wagner