[tex-live] pdftex and other binaries updates

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 13:00:51 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Peter Ragosch
<peter.ragosch at t-online.de> wrote:

> [...]
>> You should add the TL2008 binary dir to the FRONT of the PATH:
>>
>>       export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/arch-os/:$PATH
>>
>> (in bash)
>
> for me PATH starts with /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux,
> only /opt/kde3/bin goes always to first position, after some time.
>  And even if I've changed it back, sudo tlmgr doesn't work and looks
> at  /usr/lib/texmf/tlpk for its packages. Mysterious!

Look at "printenv" and "sudo printenv" , maybe with grep for ^PATH=
and TEX.

Running something as complex and unproven as tlmgr with more than
ordinary privileges is a risk.  The real TeX Live is self-contained, so once
the top level directory is created and ownership changed to that of the TL
manager, root is not required.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia