[tex-live] Problem updating with tlmgr

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Sep 22 09:13:29 CEST 2008

Hi Justin,

On So, 21 Sep 2008, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> >Strange. Was really only the link missing and everything else working.
>
> That was the reaction of 'tlmgr' when I wanted to install
> 'pdflatex' ("strange....").

Hmmmmmm... I don't get it. the pdflatex link is in
	bin-latex.i386-linux
(or the respective package for different arch-os combinations).

But your log file below did show that bin-latex has NOT been updated.
So why should that remove the link?

And tlmgr install pdflatex does not remove the link either, it only
tells you that there is no packages pdflatex, right?

For your log file:

> disable kpfonts.map
> Can't exec "updmap-sys": No such file or directory at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 183, <RETFH> line 114253.
> enable Map=kpfonts.map
> Can't exec "updmap-sys": No such file or directory at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 183, <RETFH> line 114253.
> disable marvosym.map
> Can't exec "updmap-sys": No such file or directory at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 183, <RETFH> line 114253.
> enable Map=marvosym.map
> Can't exec "updmap-sys": No such file or directory at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 183, <RETFH> line 114253.

That is BAD ... what does happen here. Do you have
	updmap-sys
in your path? Can you call it as root or the one who installed TeX Live.

> updmap: This is updmap, version 1211742332

Especially since afterwards calls to updmap succeeded.

> regenerating fmtutil.cnf
> Cannot open /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/fmtutil/format.cslatex.cnf

Hmmmm, that is part of
	bin-cslatex (in  collection-langczechslovak)
do you have that one installed?

> The generated fmtutil.cnf file might be incomplete!
> Error: No such file or directory
> readline() on closed filehandle INFILE at /usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line 947.
> running fmtutil-sys --missing

Looks fine.

So I don't understand what has happened here.

Did you install TL via our install package or via the MacTeX (or how it
is called) installer?

Maybe the Darwin people can help here

> >>Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds
> >
> >Aehmmm, I could contribute to this institute by absorbing some of
> >the funds
> >of the institute, so to say a second level absorption ...
>
> But that wouldn't be contributing *to*; that would be contributing
> *from*, no?

Welllllll, in some way it would be both, because by absorbing funds from
the "Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds", which seems to be
federal, too, I would at the same time absorb from (take the money from
it) and contribute to (as I am working in the sense of the Institute).

That is very much a Gödelian argument, or better Cantor, if you remember
the Cantor's paradox about the set containing all the sets which do not
contain itself ...

Best wishes

Norbert