[tex-live] distribution policy

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Sun Sep 21 20:23:18 CEST 2008

Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 11:26:22PM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> On Sa, 20 Sep 2008, Philip TAYLOR  in Bolsehle wrote:
>> > an image is really taking things too far.  What if the
>> > source is a series of artifacts that have been photographed ;
>>
>> Please don't start a useless discussion, that is a well know thing. If
>> there is a computer-readable source it should be provided. If you make a
>> photo then the photo is all that is needed.
>
> What happens, if the source belongs to a program that is not generally
> available (maybe a private program)?

For Debian, this would fail the condition of being able to rebuild
everything from source with only free software (and publically existing
software, of course) - so it couldn't be distributed neither with nor
without the source.

For TeXLive (and personally), I have no problem with including the
package without this "useless" source.  I wouldn't mind having it there,
too. Maybe someone groks the syntax, finds the idea interesting and
writes their own program to create a fig from it...

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)