[tex-live] tlmgr --help

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun Sep 21 15:36:10 CEST 2008

Victor Ivrii a écrit :
> (and strangly nowhere mentioned)
>
> %texdoc  tlmgr

Almost every executable program in TL has a man page, and every man
pages have been converted in pdf to be accessible from texdoc (mainly
because windows users usually don't have a man reader). So the pdf you
see is generated from tlmgr.1 and I'd bet this one is generated from
tlmgr --help (or both are generate form the same source in pod format).

> "tlmgr update --all
>
> Update all packages."
>
> missing: and installs new.

... in already installed collections.

> 3) Also --dry-run is more verbose than --list it is still less verbose
> than an actual update --all
> Also only --list returns version numbers (so some information about
> forthcoming update could be provided only by it)

Actually, I don't feel comfortable either with --dry-run output being
different from the actual output. That's just not the way I'd expect it
to work. tlmgr gurus, any comment on this?

> b) if package is no more part of TeXLive tlmgr does not remove

Still wondering if this is actually "smart" btw, since it implies there
will be a difference between a fresh install and a old installation kept
up-to-date with tlmgr. Anyway, if you like it...

> Actually tlmgr is smarter than documentation (which is also a part of
> tlmgr.pl); so in a sense tlmgr is smarter than it tells you :-)

Isn't it good news? ;-)

Manuel.