[tex-live] prolems running latex in tex-live

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 00:44:47 CEST 2008

2008/9/20 Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>

> On Sa, 20 Sep 2008, Ralph Boland wrote:
> >  sudo echo $TEXMF
> > !!TEXMFMAIN
>
> Well, sorry, I cannot help you.

You have already helped a great deal.

> Somehow you have set an environment
> variable that overrides the configuration.
>
> What do you expect that it will work??? Who told you to do that (AND
> NO!!! The texlive packages didn't do anything like that).

I had no recollection of setting any environment variable.
However, I checked my .bashrc file and found:
export TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!TEXMFMAIN}
I remember now finding instructions on the web to set this as part of
installing the llncs.cls file.
I assume this is a big part of my problem.
I will remove it and try again.

> I guess you have to think back where you have set this variable, could
> be /etc/profile, /etc/environment, or 50tousand other places.
>
> End of thread. Remove that variable and it will work.
>
> Bummer, so much time for self created problems.

Sorry for using so much of your time.

Thanks to all those who helped.

Ralph Boland