[tex-live] Post-install problems (Solaris)

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 20:37:37 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Jean-Pierre Chretien <chretien at cert.fr> wrote:

> I have two problems with TL 2008 post-installation procedures:
>  - texconfig-sys fails, due to missing whiptail binary; whiptail
>  seems widely available on Linux, but I couldn't find sources
>  to install it on Solaris; I used the batch syntax to configure;
>  - to add local fonts xxx imported in texmf-local, I used to add Map xxx.map
>  in updmap.cfg file. Now TL recommends to put all locally added fonts in
>  /some/file.cfg and to run command
>  tlmgr generate updmap -local /some/file.cfg
>  All I get is that -local is not a valid option.
>  tlgr --help is almost unreadable on Solaris.

I didn't encounter these problems on Solaris 10, which I access
on our LAN using a system with a X11 server (Xming on Win32,
or linux, or MacOSX).   For some other project I had to install
a whack of Perl stuff, so there may well be some differences
between my installation and standard Solaris.

If  TeX was on the system previously, check for
environment variables that might conflict with things in
texmf.cnf, as well as for old texmf.cnf files, etc.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia