[tex-live] xeCJK package missing

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Sep 19 00:47:25 CEST 2008

    xetex itself is an exception -- i don't know why

We certainly encourage programs to put their releases on CTAN.  And I
bet we could set up a mirror of official XeTeX releases to CTAN using
our usual roundabout methods or others, if you and Jonathan wish.

But as a practical matter, having sources for the basic programs on CTAN
does not really help us, since we have no infrastructure to update
sources (ie, under Build/source/) from CTAN.  And it would be a great
deal of effort to create such infrastructure, with only dubious
benefit.  Very often the sources have to be changed within TL, or TL is
where they actually get tested (viz. pdftex ...).

The situation with packages (anything but compiled programs) is entirely
different.  There, we most definitely want everything on CTAN.