[tex-live] fancytipmark.pdf

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 02:32:18 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 7:46 PM,  <cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:
> On Sun 14th Sep, 2008 at 20:08, Karl Berry seems to have written:
>
>>  - pdf version of image is apparently blank
>>  -
>> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fancytooltips/fancytipmark.pdf
>>
>> What's in TL is what is on CTAN.  Maybe your particular pdf reader isn't
>> happy about it for some reason, or corrupted in download I suppose.  You
>> could wget it manually from CTAN or TL.
>
> I tried two different viewers. I also tried a copy of the file that
> somebody was kind enough to email to me but which was identical to the
> original (according to diff).
>
> I solved it by generating a pdf version myself but I'm curious about
> the problem. If somebody could send me an md5 sum, I'd be grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> cfr

The funny thing is that
1) AR7 and AR9 (I don't have 8 installed) show blue "blob"
2) xpdf show blue "blob" while
3) ApplePreview, Texshop and Skim which are based on the different
engine show empty square. Meanwhile opening fancytipmark.eps with
ApplePreview (which converts it to pdf) also shows blue blob.

However if we generate pdf using fancytooltips ALL above applications
show blue blob perfectly. Probably pdf experts can explain this
phenomena but there is no harm that some special input file is not
properly displayed by some browsers (probably bug in Apple engine)

Let us also remember that fancytooltips are Javascript based and one
needs AR (or AA) to properly display resulting pdf

Victor