[tex-live] Updating TL on Cygwin

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 16:28:01 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Angelo Graziosi
<angelo.graziosi at alice.it> wrote:

> George N. White III ha scritto:
>
>> new tlmgr.  Normally I use a local mirror site so they all
>> see a consistent archive.  I suspect the issue is that
>
> Should I rsync tlnet/2008?
> May you give some details?

There are several options, depending on the nature of your internet
access and your needs:

1)  svn checkout or rsync to mirror the TL source repository.   You
can build new binaries and you can install using "tlmgr --location
<path_to_svn>.   I use rsync for my home system.
<http://www.tug.org/texlive/svn/> explains the options, but does not
give a full discussion
of the rsync options that can be used to omit binaries (e.g,, for
architectures you don't have).

2) ftp mirroring of the tldev/2008 directory.  I use this at work
(with wget), where rsync and svn are blocked. I think rsync is
supported by some CTAN mirror sites.   There are a number of tools
(lftp, curlmirror.pl) that support mirroring.  At work we have a
restrictive firewall and traffic shaping, and rely on wget for bulk
transfers -- given suitable settings it works well when there are
firewalls and shaping at both ends.

>> so answers and schedule have been removed recently, but are likely
>> already installed on your system and might still be present on some
>> mirror sites
>
> Yes, they are installed on my system. Does it mean that I will have
> those 'cannot be found' until I remove them?

I can't say, as I remove them as soon as I learn they have been removed from TL.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia