[tex-live] pdftex LFS bug: on mac too?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sun Sep 14 05:19:34 CEST 2008

On  13 Sep, 2008, at 12:52, George N. White III wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Axel E. Retif <axel.retif at mac.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [...] I just tried typesetting a book done originally in 2006 with
>> gwTeX (which I no longer have).
>>
>> This book uses more than 100 images; the heaviest PDF is 25MB file
>> (as
>> converted by Ghostscript 8.62; PDF press-ready by Adobe Distiller,
>> just
>> 11MB), from a 70MB Illustrator EPS.
>
> Were you using pdf(la)tex with pdf figures, or (la)tex with EPS
> figures and
> then dvips?

pdfLaTeX with the epstopdf package to convert the EPS figures to PDF.
First I used the previously (2006) converted PDF files. Then, to do a
complete test, I deleted the PDF figures to let epstopdf to convert
again the EPS figures; that's when the problems surfaced.

>> Both Ghostscript *and Apple Distiller* had problems with some
>> (about 15)
>> Photoshop EPS files (but not Illustrator or generic EPS files), so
>> I used
>> Adobe Distiller to distill those. [...]
>
> Last week I formatted an article (originally formated on Win32) using
> OSX Intel ,TL2008 latex+dvips, and Adobe Distiller (CS3).
> Distiller had
> problems with many of the EPS figures, as did Apple's Preview.app
> [...].

I'm using still Adobe CS (that is, CS1). Adobe Distiller had no
problems distilling the Photoshop EPS files, but GS and Apple
distiller failed. GS and Apple distiller could distill the Illustrator
EPS files as well as EPS figures done on Linux ---I don't know in
which application(s).

> [...]
>
> In addition to font problems,

In my case, the Photoshop EPS files had no fonts. Illustrator EPS had
fonts, though, but there was no problem with them.

> [...]
>
> I'm pretty sure all this is not a TeX bug, but it is TeX that will
> be blamed when there are problems.

Unfortunately, that's true. pdf(La)TeX has nothing to do with this ---
it was all a problem with Photoshop--GS-Apple distiller.

Best,

Axel