[tex-live] pdftex LFS bug: on mac too?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Sep 12 23:42:51 CEST 2008

On  12 Sep, 2008, at 16:01, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Axel,
>
>   In 2006, the book ended up as a 55MB PDF; now 84MB (maybe different
>   compression of GS 8.53 I had used and GS 8.62 I use now); with Apple
>   Distiller, 172MB!
>
> Sorry, no clue, different issue for sure.  Thanks for offering to test
> things, as always.

Yes, it has to be due to GS and Apple Distiller compressions (I think
the latter doesn't compress at all). If I use the previously (2006)
generated PDF files, the book ends up the same as before: ~55MB.

>   I tried connecting to
>
>   svn co http://scm.foundry.supelec.fr/svn/pdftex/tests/lfs
>
>   but I couldn't either as anonymous (password email) or leaving the
>   fields blank.
>
> I don't know why that would fail, but I haven't checked out the pdftex
> source for a while.  Maybe Martin or Thanh can see something quickly
> in
> the above.  Not that the lfs test files there are anything you need to
> try now.

I misunderstood completely. I thought they have put there files for us
to test with different architectures. My mistake!

Best regards,

Axel