[tex-live] texdoc error

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Sep 11 18:28:48 CEST 2008

Norbert Preining wrote:

> ANd that is what we are doing, we had to switch to temp files instead of
> pipes due *only* to windows. But to keep things as uniform across
> platforms as possible, it is now the same way on unix, a pity.
>
> It is easy to do what you suggest when you write a Windows only program,
> but mark that the installer, the tlmgr, and all the stuff should work on
> all supported architectures, and we are not able to write two different
> versions, one for unix one for windows.

Yes, all fair comment Norbert : I do not
challenge any of your assertions.

> But your contributions are far away from the problems we are facing. THe
> usage of temp files has been done since ages, there are much more
> difficult things, like the peculairities of Perl/Tk on Win vs Unix. And
> none of us, and I assume you not either, are able to hack the code of
> PerlTk and fix it.

To be honest, I don't even /have/ Perl/TK : is it pure PERL,
or is it a lower-level interface between PERL and the host
operating system ?

> Actually, since I have written most of the things I have to say that I
> comletely ignore this thread since I don't see anything useful up to
> now.

I'm sorry you feel that way : I had hoped that we might
eventually be able to identify what is causing TeXdoc
to crash AR 8.1/9.

** Phil.