[tex-live] TeX Live 2008: nasty pdf(la)tex bug on Solaris SPARC with ZFS

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Tue Sep 9 04:03:19 CEST 2008

"NHFB" == Nelson H F Beebe writes:

 NHFB> I now have a simple test case that exhibits the problem, and
 NHFB> experiments show that it manifests itself only on Sun Solaris
 NHFB> SPARC.

 NHFB> On a ZFS system, I see something like this:
[...]
 NHFB> 107T Sep 8 16:38 bug.pdf

 NHFB> On a UFS Solaris SPARC system (/var/tmp), I see this:

 NHFB> 	% pdflatex bug.tex ...  pdflatex: bug: File too large

i built solaris sparc binaries for texlive, and i can reproduce this
behavior too. there is nothing related to ZFS. it only doesn't complain
about a big file size, while UFS returns EFBIG (shown by truss):

write(6, " F 1 5 F 1 6 F 1 7 F 1 8".., 8192)    = 8192
write(6, "C4CD97 kB29E9C0FF8DFCC B".., 330)     = 330
llseek(6, 0x0000330C00000EDC, SEEK_SET)         = 0x330C00000EDC
write(6, " 4 9 1 6", 4)                         Err#27 EFBIG

because of a big lseek before the write. maybe it is because of a
compiler bug, or maybe it is a pdftex bug. therefore i'm also forwarding
to the ntg-pdftex list. does anybody have an idea if it's likely a
compiler bug or a pdftex bug?

Best,
v.

P.S. for those on nts-pdftex who are not subscribed to texlive list,
here is the snippet with a test case:
Here is the test file:

% cat bug.tex

\documentclass[]{article}

\usepackage{graphicx}

\begin{document}

This is a picture of a golfer:

\centerline{\includegraphics[width = 0.5\textwidth]{cgolfer}}

\end{document}

The cgolfer.pdf file can be found here:

	http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/cgolfer.pdf

The bug is unrelated to the particular PDF file that is included as a
graphics image.