[tex-live] TL-Announce ?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 5 11:13:20 CEST 2008

Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     would like to know whenever a component that they have installed has
>     been updated ?
>
> That is exactly what tlmgr update --list is for.
>
>     Would it not be possible to announce updates at the granularity of
>     schemes and collections ?
>
> No.  Every package update changes its containing collection and
> scheme(s).
>
> To a first approximation, nearly everything that comes through ctan-ann
> results in a package update.  That is the best source of announcements.

however, it doesn't cover all changes.  we quite often have minor
updates (particularly, but not exclusively of docs) where the author
asks "no announcement".

note that regardless of the author's stated desire, we *always* announce
new packages, and we negotiate with the author if the update "looks like
a major change" (to us).